Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Maryland lawmakers OK plan to rebuild Pimlico Race Course, home of the Preakness -Capitatum
Algosensey|Maryland lawmakers OK plan to rebuild Pimlico Race Course, home of the Preakness
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:11:35
ANNAPOLIS,Algosensey Md. (AP) — Maryland lawmakers approved a plan to rebuild Baltimore’s storied but antiquated Pimlico Race Course and transfer the track to state control in the waning hours of the state’s legislative session on Monday.
The measure would use $400 million in state bonds to rebuild the home of the second jewel of horse racing’s Triple Crown, the Preakness Stakes.
The legislation also calls for transferring Pimlico from the Stronach Group, which is the current owner of Pimlico and nearby Laurel Park, to a newly formed nonprofit that would operate under the state.
The 105-32 vote in the Maryland House sends the bill to Gov. Wes Moore, who has expressed support for it.
“We think it’s important to not just make sure that we’re protecting an industry that means a lot to this state, not just in terms of its history but in terms of its future, but also this is an important bill for the community,” Moore, a Democrat, told reporters earlier in the day.
Under the plan, the Preakness would relocate to Laurel Park in 2026 while the new facility is being built, before returning to Pimlico, likely in 2027. The temporary move would come as the third Triple Crown race, the Belmont Stakes, is scheduled to return to Belmont Park from a two-year hiatus at Saratoga Race Course while the New York track undergoes a $455 million reconstruction.
The bill, which was introduced late in the session, faced a shaky path through the legislature. Some lawmakers were concerned about the state assuming liability for operating costs. The measure was amended to use horse racing purse accounts to cover operating losses.
“I’m glad to bet on ourselves, but there’s a reason that the industry has been struggling, and we can only do so much,” said Senate President Bill Ferguson, a Baltimore Democrat. “It’s not a blank check, and so this caps the liability for the state.”
Maryland lawmakers approved a plan in 2020 to rebuild the track, but it never got off the ground. The new plan increases the amount of state bonds to be used from $375 million to $400 million. The plan also calls for a training facility, with details to be determined.
The state has been wrestling with what to do to restore the old racetrack for decades. Aptly nicknamed Old Hilltop, the track opened in 1870. It’s where Man o’ War, Seabiscuit, Secretariat and many others pranced to the winner’s circle.
But its age has long been a concern. In 2019, the Maryland Jockey Club closed off nearly 7,000 grandstand seats, citing the “safety and security of all guests and employees.” The Preakness has struggled to draw pre-pandemic attendance numbers in recent years, down to 65,000 people in 2023 for Friday and Saturday compared to more than 180,000 for the same days four years earlier.
At the end of the legislative session last year, the Maryland Thoroughbred Racetrack Operating Authority was created and tasked with taking another look at options, and it made recommendations in January to invest in Pimlico to take on a greater role in holding races.
The horse racing industry has long played a big role in Maryland culture. The racing industry and other equine industries have been a cornerstone of Maryland agriculture, as well as an integral part of preserving green space. The equine industry has an estimated $2 billion direct economic impact on the state.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (32)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Former USWNT stars Harris, Krieger divorcing after four years of marriage, per reports
- Air quality has been horrible this year — and it's not just because of wildfire smoke
- Pentagon’s ‘FrankenSAM’ program cobbles together air defense weapons for Ukraine
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- James McBride wins $50,000 Kirkus Prize for fiction for “The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store”
- Spain’s acting leader is booed at a National Day event as the country’s political limbo drags on
- Why Russia is engaged in a delicate balancing act in the Israel-Hamas war
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Caroline Ellison says working at FTX with Bankman-Fried led her to lie and steal
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Kourtney Kardashian's BaubleBar Skeleton Earrings Are Back in Stock Just in Time for Spooky Season
- IRS says Microsoft may owe more than $29 billion in back taxes; Microsoft disagrees
- John Cena's Super-Private Road to Marrying Shay Shariatzadeh
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Armenia wants a UN court to impose measures aimed at protecting rights of Nagorno-Karabakh Armenians
- Sandra Hüller’s burdens of proof, in ‘Anatomy of a Fall’ and ‘Zone of Interest’
- Travis Barker’s Daughter Alabama Feels “Very Misunderstood” After Being Criticized By Trolls
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
NATO member Romania finds more drone fragments on its soil after Russian again hits southern Ukraine
Early morning storms leave path of damage from Tampa Bay into north Florida. No injuries reported
San Francisco man, 31, identified as driver who rammed vehicle into Chinese consulate
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Instead of embracing FBI's 'College Basketball Columbo,' NCAA should have faced reality
US arranging evacuation flights for Americans who want to leave Israel as war with Hamas rages
Company drops plan for gas power plant in polluted New Jersey area